Friday, February 19, 2010

Weekly timesheet: 2/15/2010

Right to business. All this from sticky notes and memory. (Also: this is net of all breaks & lolligagging; quality work time only.)

2/15: 8 hours.
3 hours of crim pro reading: federal statutory discovery requirements: less gamesmanship, more accuracy (& more legitimacy?).
1 hour IPLC meeting: new assignments; mine is unusual.

2/16: 8 hours.
3 hours writing IPLC memo about Native hire preferences (applies) and state civil rights law (doesn't apply); done.
5 hours in classes.

2/17: 8 hours.
3 hours new IPLC memo research about treaty rights (good) and pollution (bad); my new goal: most succinct memo ever.
2 hours crim pro reading: Brady & constitutional discovery requirements, especially materiality & the role of prosecution (from a defense-oriented prof).
1 hour: Journal cite checking review (only 6 thin binders, not 12 thick binders).
2 hours: ULWR research. Reread federal statute, regs, & policies about organ donation. Way better than reading a secondary. Next step: reading State laws. After that: secondary sources to check understanding.

2/18: 8 hours
2 hours crim pro reading, as above.
2 hours JML cite checking. Finished 1 binder.
2 hours crim pro class
2 hours ULWR research, as above.

2/19: 8 hours
4.5 hours JML cite checking. Finished 2 more binders.
3.5 hours: JML symposium. Mostly sitting around & chatting with people I already knew. I failed to network. I guess I assume it has no value, but I think experts say I'm wrong.

I set up a blog specifically to take notes while I do ULWR research on-line, which is how legal research is mainly done. I figure if I can do decent legal research and writing, I can free-lance forever.

No comments: